Saturday, September 25, 2010

9/25/2010 (Sat) - Williams, AZ to Mesa, AZ (200 miles)

We were up and at it early today but did not leave until 9:00am.  The trip took us down I-40 to Flagstaff and then onto I-17 until we reached Mesa.  Very uneventful trip. 
I did not see any cactus until about 50 miles north of Mesa.   Then I saw prickly pear, teddy bear, and saguaro Cactus.  The saguaro cactus are the huge ones with the arms sticking out.  It takes that cactus almost 80-100 years of growing before it starts to have the arms grow out.  They were just everywhere alongside I-17 while we were driving.  Someone told me they are a protected plant.  If one is in the way of a new building project it needs to be moved and replanted somewhere else.  Teddy bear cactus are sort of cute as they have white furry stuff on them and they grow quite close to the ground.

Saguaro Catcus

Main Street at Sun Life RV Resort

Looks like Barrel Cactus to me

Could be Prickley Pear Cactus

Jim pulling into our spot

Chef Jim

We're havin bacon, lettuce and tomato Sandwiches
To hot to cook inside
We arrived at our site around noon and when I got out of the truck I about passed out.  It was blazing hot!!  105 degrees and did you notice our site does not have any shade.  I don't think I have ever been in that hot of heat.  Within minutes I was soaked.  We did most everything we could outside and then came inside to cool off.  The only problem was the air conditioner kept shutting off from overheating.  So it got around 94 inside before the sun went down enought so it wasn't blasting on top of the air unit, then the air was fine.  It is pretty good in here now. 
We walked to the club house to use the internet as we could not find anyone who knew the code to access the wifi.  Finally we did get the code and it's working now.

So we will be here until Jan. 2nd or at least that's the plan today.  If it stays this hot I might volunteer for a job in an air conditioned place



No comments:

Post a Comment